The onboarding experience for a bank, crypto company or telco has historically been painful for all parties involved. This is a MASSIVE global problem and FrankieOne is on a mission to rebuild the identity infrastructure to change this!
FrankieOne is a VC backed, product lead, global fintech that has connected over 300+ global identity and fraud providers into a single platform allowing us to provide a single unified view, single unified API and one damn fine onboarding experience.
Little FrankieOne is only 2 years old and already our infrastructure powers tier 1 banks, global BNPL players, the majority of Neobanks in Australia and some of the fastest growing fintechs in the world.
Today we are in 46 countries, though this figure might have changed once I’ve finished this post, we are experiencing exponential growth right now which is creating huge opportunities for talented people in our team to get involved in new and exciting projects. Anyone joining us during this exciting phase will need to be ready to innovate and step outside their comfort zone, everyone in the team has an impact on our success.
How you will impact the team's success
FrankieOne today is a team of 20 enthusiastic and passionate people, though given our growth we are expecting to be 40 people in the next 6 months! As we scale it’s super important we don’t drop our quality standards, hence we want to take special care in our QA frameworks and practices.
To date, QA responsibility has been owned by product, BA’s and automation tests done by the engineers. Though as we mature we are looking to separate this into a dedicated department.
This role is extremely important as you’ll be our first hire in the department and hence developing our QA framework from the ground up and making a huge impact! As you can appreciate, working in the Identity and Fraud prevention space, quality and accuracy are paramount. Our development team is doing an awesome job and we see that by creating a QA function we will help them create even better solutions. As a key member of the development team you will build and deliver best practice quality processes, work with other members of the team to enhance their testing capability and ensure we release high-quality solutions without restricting the creative process. You will also be responsible for helping celebrate when milestones are reached! You will also be responsible for mentoring junior QAs as we build the team.
As a technical QA, you'll work closely with the product team to help define how "done" can be validated, and then work with the development team to ensure they meet these goals. You'll be comfortable building your own testing suite and managing your own tools, with a view to ensuring as much of what you do is automated and can be incorporated into our build pipeline.
- 3 years + experience in a quality assurance and testing role
- Some experience leading others
- Experience working in a fast-paced, startup or agency style environment
- The skills and knowledge to construct and set up your own testing pipelines
- Extensive experience in testing APIs using tools like Postman/Newman, RestAssured or similar
- Superb communication skills
- Solid understanding of testing web applications using tools like Selenium/Cypress or similar
- Be able to work with developers and the DevOps team to create QA environments in an AWS infrastructure
- Be comfortable building end-to-end functional tests to exercise the entire system
- You’ll also be responsible for constructing integration tests for our external services too
- We're an AWS shop, so you'll also need to be familiar with tools for mocking their environment such as Localstack.
- Experience leading and mentoring a team
Extra bonus points:
- If you've got security testing skills as well, we REALLY want to hear from you.
- Create our QA framework and tweak it over time to ensure it is relevant and best of breed
- Hire and mentor junior QA consultants
- Be an active participant in our regular scrum rituals (standup, grooming, retro, etc)
- Working with product and design to understand the service to be able to create test cases and help define “Done”
- Working with both the front-end and back-end engineering team to understand how the service will be built and how best to integrate testing from the outset
- Build the QA department, initially with a junior QA engineer who you will manage and mentor
- Advocate for automated testing processes
- Seeking to continuously improve the service and technology stack
More about you:
You are a stickler for detail and you love the idea of being pivotal in delivering brilliant software and not just stopping average software being released. You love collaborating with like minded people and creating quality outcomes. You enjoy a challenge and you bring some fun at the same time.
What success looks like:
In your first month, we will give you the full induction so that you understand the company culture, the product, the codebase and your team. We will ensure that you have all the tools that you need to be successful. We’ll aim to have you testing your first code in the first 2 weeks. From there you’ll start to build and define the QA infrastructure that will become an integral part of our delivery and release process.
By 3 months you’ll have created the baseline testing infrastructure and begun to enhance the existing tools and processes already in place. You will have hired a junior QA engineer who you will mentor and lead.
By 6 months you’ll fully own the QA function. All new projects and products will have QA baked in from the start. The team will be talking about their increased confidence in product quality and will be able to measure and gain insights into improvements to the product quality. They will be able to prevent most or all issues arising as they release products into the market.
About the team:
You will report to Andrew Edwards our Tech lead. Before joining Frankie Andrew worked as a CTO for a healthcare startup, prior to that was CTO and Co-Founder for a startup in the online event ticketing space, which sold over $100Million of tickets around the world. When not banging on about metric-led development, Andrew is interested in building and playing synthesisers.
You will work closely with the CTO Aaron Chipper, FrankieOne’s CTO. Aaron has been programming since the age of 7 and has spent the majority of his career either working in or with startups. He spent 20 years building mobile and social payments networks across the globe and was part of the team that sold Fusion Payments to Telstra. When not wrangling 1’s and 0’s, Aaron likes to work in his orchard or with his bees.
As an early stage company you’ll witness the company growing in size and value because of your direct impact. We also want you to see the upside in the value you bring and hence offer an attractive equity component to compensation.
We have a flexible work-from-home policy though in the office on Wednesdays and Fridays as a minimum so we can maintain our vibrant office culture. We are based in a high-energy co-sharing office surrounded by lots of other startups and small tech companies. We get to catch up over breakfast on a Tuesday, drinks and cheese, etc on a Friday, and other team events and gatherings.
We believe that diversity is critical to our success. We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
The full-time role will be based in our Docklands, Melbourne office. As mentioned above, we have a flexible work-from-home policy though we are in the office on Wednesdays and Fridays as a minimum so we can maintain our vibrant office culture and use these days for team collaboration / problem solving.
Our interview process will involve a series of interviews with the senior management team at FrankieOne and a short case study or a scenario.